Navigators from MDC and other nonprofit organizations are conducting outreach throughout local communities and helping North Carolinians enroll in new health insurance options available under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
MDC’s Navigators were first funded by a competitive federal grant awarded in August 2013 to a statewide coalition of nonprofit partners MDC helped form. The initial grant was the fourth largest of 105 such grants awarded in the country.
Since that time, the coalition—now called the NC Navigator Consortium—has been funded by successive federal grants and recently received funding that will take the project into 2018.
The current grant funding enables MDC to deploy Navigators serving predominantly the Triangle (Orange, Durham, and Wake counties). MDC is also collaborating with Navigators from partner nonprofit organizations, and with similar Outreach and Enrollment Specialists hosted by federally qualified health centers, to plan and conduct outreach and enrollment events across North Carolina serving special populations.
Navigators from MDC offer services to individuals and communities, including:
- Scheduling appointments for people who need one-on-one assistance to learn about and possibly enroll in ACA health insurance (appointments made by calling 855.733.3711).
- Conducting one-on-one enrollment sessions in space sponsored by community-based organizations or community colleges.
- Utilizing various forms of marketing and social media to broadcast information and services (Facebook, Twitter, email blasts).
- MDC’s Navigators are federally certified and are deployed to help individuals and communities with ACA health insurance outreach and enrollment.
- MDC’s Navigators are strengthening relationships with local nonprofit partners to provide services to the public at trusted locations.
- MDC and its nonprofit partner organizations established a statewide toll-free number for North Carolinians to call for scheduling appointments for in-person assistance (855.733.3711) as well as a website for online appointment scheduling, www.nchealthconnect.org.
- Navigators from MDC are conducting outreach events, publicizing information, and providing one-on-one assistance with education and enrollment.