MDC seeks a Communications Associate to provide tactical support to the Director of Communications to implement MDC’s external communication strategy. The communications associate is enrolled in a 2- or 4-year undergraduate program, and the internship can serve as course credit. The position is based in North Carolina but is primarily a remote position, with possible and occasional travel to MDC’s office in Durham, NC. This is a part-time (15-20 hours/week) position.
Primary Responsibilities and Expectations
- Distill content into engaging, concise messages for websites, e-newsletters, and social media platforms.
- Draft communications materials such as e-newsletters, social media images, and web content.
- Update social media channels, including but not limited to LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Create graphics for publications, social media, websites, and presentations (ex., infographics, graphs, and bar charts).
- Develop and maintain stakeholder outreach lists, e-newsletter subscriber lists, fundraising lists, CRM, and editorial calendars.
- Track and report website, e-newsletter, and social media metrics.
- Develop creative ideas for dissemination strategies and tactics.
- Cull and summarize media mentions.
- Conduct website maintenance, including posting approved content and editing web text and graphics.
- Support webinar and video production, editing and closed captioning.
- Work closely with program and communications staff to prepare PowerPoint and other presentations and supporting materials.
This position is remote with occasional travel to MDC’s office in Durham, N.C. The right person for this position will have excellent organizational and time management skills and the interest in and ability to simultaneously track deliverables and milestones across several projects. They should also have an interest in equity and experience with social media, and website development/maintenance.
In addition, candidates must have:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to represent the organization with external partners, clients, staff, and via MDC’s digital channels
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Ability to manage multiple assignments and competing priorities, and complete assignments on time
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Knowledge/Proficient in design software – Canva, Adobe (InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop) and Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint; knowledge of tools for graphic representation/design, video creation/editing and experience with CRM systems a plus
- Familiarity with the issues that MDC works on is also a plus, particularly racial and gender equity, the U.S. South, and economic mobility/security
This internship pays $17 per hour, or open to course credit. This is a part-time (15-20 hours per week), remote position.
MDC staff are currently working remotely; please be sure to send the application package electronically through JazzHR at the APPLY link below rather than by regular mail. Application materials should include: (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) contact information for three references.
The deadline for applications is 5:00 PM Eastern Time, Thursday, September 14th. If you require assistance applying, please contact [email protected].Apply Now