Leaders of North Carolina public education systems, including the President of the University of North Carolina, Acting President of the North Carolina Community College System, and State Superintendent of Public Instruction, have partnered to create My Future NC, a new statewide commission on educational attainment.
The Commission’s work is being underwritten by grants from The John M. Belk Endowment, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Goodnight Education Foundation.
MDC is co-designing and facilitating committee meetings of the MyFuture NC Commission that focus on three areas: Pre-K to 12th grade, Workforce Development, and Postsecondary Education.
My Future NC is bringing together top North Carolina thought leaders from the education, business, philanthropy, faith-based, and nonprofit communities and ex officio representatives from the North Carolina House of Representatives, Senate, and Governor’s office to discuss state education and training needs, identify obstacles to meeting those needs, and generate policy recommendations.
The effort is led by a team of co-chairs — Dale Jenkins, Chief Executive Officer of Medical Mutual Holdings; Andrea Smith, Chief Administrative Officer of Bank of America; and Margaret Spellings, President of the University of North Carolina.
The Commission’s foremost responsibility is creating a multi-year education plan and a broad-based agenda for a stronger and more competitive North Carolina. In particular, the Commission will improve the current education policy environment by:
- Developing a comprehensive statewide education plan, from early childhood through postsecondary education, which recommends clear attainment goals, identifies key benchmarks, and proposes promising reforms to guide the future of education in North Carolina.
- Breaking down silos and coordinating key stakeholders to make the best use of all educational resources in the state.
- Debating the key issues and needs of the state to garner higher levels of public awareness and engagement.
To reach these objectives, the Commission will address three primary questions:
- What goals should North Carolina set for its education system across the education continuum, from early childhood through postsecondary education and into the workforce
- What barriers stand in the way and keep us from fully leveraging the resources we have?
- What solutions can improve outcomes?
For more information about My Future NC, contact Senior Program Director Mala Thakur at email@example.com.