This statewide resource network helped working families reclaim and keep their earnings. MDC supported community partners with marketing and training. Our partners provided: free tax return preparation in 26 under-resourced counties of North Carolina and South Carolina; helped with claiming benefits such as the EITC and the Child Tax Credit; asseted building opportunities such as savings accounts and Individual Development Accounts; and the education of state and local policymakers about a larger assets agenda as a key tool to increase economic stability and community prosperity.
- To insure that eligible workers and families claim valuable tax credits
- To expand free tax preparation sites
- To help families pay down debt and build savings
- To support state policies that lead to family economic stability
- Helped workers access close to $75 million in federal refunds and almost $30 million of EITC, and saved taxpayers roughly $15 million in preparation fees
- Between 2006 and 2010, the number of clients who accessed the services doubled, to more than 20,000
- Lobbied as part of coalition to implement and then keep a state credit for working families and state support for free tax preparation programs