MDC has long focused on education as a critical part of its mission to create equity and pathways to opportunity. Emphasizing the importance of educational attainment to personal, community, and regional economic security—and identifying the barriers that make it a more difficult goal for some students than others—has been a key part of MDC’s research and practice. That has led MDC to focus much of its work in community colleges, which are often the most accessible and best equipped institutions to connect students with educational opportunity, job training, and local employers.
MDC uses the following strategies to help people succeed in school and in finding careers:
- building institutional capacity to better serve disadvantaged students and their communities
- removing the structural and economic barriers that make it difficult for students to stay in school
- reforming public policies and systems to improve the quality and accessibility of higher education
- connecting educational institutions, business leaders, government agencies, and community members to identify and address achievement gaps
- promoting the critical link between postsecondary education and economic well-being for people and communities